Monday, September 24, 2012

HOW TO GET CLIENTS AS A PERSONAL TRAINER IN THE GYM

TIPS ON GETTING CLIENTS IN A GYM AS A PERSONAL TRAINER

Im no EXPERT, let's get that out the way; but I KNOW some stuff. I was hired as a personal trainer for Equinox Fitness 8 years ago and was told it would take me 3 months to get off the floor. The floor meaning "FLOOR SHIFTS", a humiliating yet rewarding experience as a new trainer to tell the gym "HEY IM NEW AND I NEED CLIENTS FAST SO I WONT WEAR THESE STUPID ASS ROOKIE UNIFORMS". The norm was "within 3 months you're not gonna make any money. You gotta work the floor, picking up weights, engaging clients because THIS IS your business"-more on that nonsense talk later.

But I said SCREW THAT and using the methods I'm about to share, I set a record in that gym in TriBeCa that to this day, far as I know or care of, was on the floor for only 4 weeks.

1. PROFESSIONALISM no matter what. Look like you give a damn when doing floor shifts. Avoid chatting with other new and old trainers on the floor during busy hours and keep moving-smile, clean machines a bit, rack and re-rack to rack weights, be there on hours/days you're not on shift. The key is to BE SEEN. Look neat, smell neat, be neat and ALWAYS  BE ON TIME.

2. EXPOSURE. Don't just train or do a floor shift, then go home-WORKOUT. You are now a walking billboard of fitness, like it or not; therefore showcase your best moves, best workouts etc ALONE. Are you showing off? YES. WHY? Because someone is ALWAYS watching you and if you're serious about fitness then they want the same passion and drive you have. And when I say workout, WORKOUT to the tee-wear your best clothing that reveals your body. Don't be a dork working out fully covered like you have something to hide. The fitness industry is VISUAL.

2. Make a weekly goal program. "this week I will talk to 2 people and sign up 1 for a free session" seems small right? Wrong. 2 people will turn into 4 people, then the next week will be "I'll talk to 4 people and sign up 2" next thing you know you have clients. It's no different than a fitness program.

3. Gyms will get mad at me for this but stay away from doing FLOOR DEMONSTRATIONS. It's just desperate and forced advertising from managers and it screams "THIS trainer is not pulling enough sessions, sign up with him so I, the manager alone, can hit bonus". If the managers would give them my tools of getting clients, they wouldn't need it; however managers are pressured by the "big dogs" who just want their pockets full so you might have to do this. If you are assigned, give it your best BUT if you use these tools they wouldn't ask you to do this unless you have a shitty manager.


4. Study body language. Not everyone is approachable. Study and watch who and how they're working out. I don't  like to be bothered when I workout but it all depends on the mood I'm in. I may look pissed off, but if you approach me with a nice smile and something I will add to my next exercise, then I'm all ears. Never and I mean NEVER assume a fit client doesn't need you.

5. CONFIDENCE. You may be new and not know a lot of things. The client doesn't know that but you damn well better sell it like you know your stuff. Lack of confidence in any industry is a complete turn off. I'm not saying you have to lie, if there's a question you don't know the answer to, just say "I honestly don't know but I will research it and have the answer for you the next time we meet", that's better than "well this movement works your bicaleipious.." making up some word. BELIEVE your the best trainer for them; they need you just like you need them-no one wants a trainer who doesn't know what he/she is doing yet alone doesn't know who they are. Certifications is just a piece of paper without personality and confidence.

6. My last one and this is gonna piss some of you trainers: DON'T DEPEND ON MANAGERS GIVING YOU PROFILES. You are off the floor for a reason and they constantly say "THIS is your business" which we all know is complete bullshit cause if that's the case, give trainers the amount of money they deserve; however it's true in a sense-operate like you are your own INC. Get your clients with these methods or your own style and method. When you depend on them too much, they got you by the balls then you'll complain that you're not getting enough cause the new trainers are getting it all which leads to frustration which leads to your sessions faultering. I say this cause once you go PRIVATE, no one is gonna give you jack squat. You have to fish for it and private is 10 times harder. 

Speaking of private, I will also blog on how to become and remain successful as a private trainer.

-end of line

4 comments:

  1. Good information. I agree with your thoughts. It gives good information for those who want to become a personal trainer, but also for those who seeks a great personal trainer.

    Personal Training South Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great advice Damian, this also works for business people across all genres. Thanks for the advice and the great post, and above all keep it pimpin.

    Ron Daniels

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. howdy, your websites are really good. I appreciate your work. Fitness and Exercise Classes

    ReplyDelete